Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Sauteed Spinach with Dried Cherries


I just love spinach; especially this time of year when it helps boost your immune system with all of it's vitamins and minerals. But when making it as a side dish, you have to purchase quite a bit  to get enough to serve everyone as it shrinks a lot when cooked. I prefer using baby spinach leaves; which are generally tender and a little sweet versus the larger spinach leaves; which tend to be more bitter. Whatever type of spinach you are preparing, remove the spinach from the heat as soon as the leaves start to wilt as they will continue to cook and you want them to be bright green in color.


When making spinach as a side dish, I generally make this Sauteed Fresh Spinach with Garlic, but was in the mood to try a little something different. I had some leftover dried cherries laying around from when I made the Baked Brie, so I added some of those. The cherries gave the spinach a nice, mildly sweet flavor that went well with a pork dish I'll be sharing with you tomorrow. ~Enjoy!


Sauteed Spinach with Dried Cherries
Prep Time: 5 minutes  Cook Time: 3 minutes Serves: 6

Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 20oz. Fresh Baby Spinach
  • 1/2 c. Dried Cherries
Directions
  1. Rinse and dry spinach; then remove any large stems. 
  2. Heat oil in a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat; then add the spinach and dried cherries. 
  3. Saute until the spinach has wilted; approximately 2-3 minutes. 
Nutrition Facts per Serving
Calories 94, Carbs 13.2g, Fat 2.3g, Protein 3.7g, Fiber 4.4g, Sugar 6g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate.

4 comments:

  1. It looks great. I love spinach, and I am really thankful for recipes with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ljilja! I've become very fond of it myself over the last few years. I always have some in the refrigerator, it's now become a staple. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Carrie,
    Now that I'm all out of fresh spinach from the farm, I've been picking up bags of baby spinach. The kids see the entire bag going into the skillet and groan, but are amazed how little spinach is left when it's time to serve.
    Your spinach is so pretty--what a clever idea to add dried cherries. This would be terrific on our holiday table, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsten, I'm glad you like it. The cherries added a nice flavor to the spinach and my kids say the same thing once the spinach has wilted.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis