Pages

Stay Connected

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Gab's Caprese Shrimp Stuffed Tomatoes (Guest Post)


Today I'm honored to have my youngest daughter back here on the blog to share her latest experiment with all of you. AND...she chose seafood since I don't prepare it very often myself. It looks great and the rest of the family really loved these tomatoes. Take it away Gab.... xo 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everybody! It’s Gab again and I’m happy to be back on the blog. Ever since I was on the blog two summers ago with my Homemade Gnocchi with Sausage Bolognese Sauce, I could not wait to get back into the kitchen to share another original recipe with you. This summer I was busy learning kitchen basics with my mother and helping her on the blog. My favorite task was to pin fantastic looking food to all of her Pinterest food boards and I can't wait to try some of them in the coming months!
I knew what I wanted to make as soon as I tasted my mom's Spinach, Mushroom & Brie Stuffed Tomatoes. They were SO good and I wanted to make my own unique version. These Caprese Shrimp Stuffed Tomatoes were DELICIOUS and had such a rich flavor, but not too "shrimpy" tasting. It made me feel like I was back in Italy and eating such wonderful Italian foods. This recipe can also be made without shrimp if you dont like shrimp or seafood. I had so much fun making this recipe, but the fun part is eating it together as a family. I hope you like it as much as we did. Bon Appetit! 

Gab’s Caprese Shrimp Stuffed Tomatoes
Prep Time:  15 minutes           Yield: 4
Cook Time: 15 minutes            Serving: 1 each
Total Time:  30 minutes
Ingredients
  • 4 Large Tomatoes
  • 12 Extra Large Shrimp, cleaned and deveined
  • 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. Fresh Basil, chopped
  • 1/2 c. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (I used part skim)
  • 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
  • 3/4 c. of Italian Flavored Breadcrumbs
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Add the oil to a small saute pan, heat over medium heat; then add the shrimp. Cook until the shrimp is cooked through and pink for approximately 3-5 minutes(should not be clear or gray). Remove from pan, allow to cool slightly and cut in half. 
  3. Place your tomatoes on a flat surface, slicing a thin slice off of the bottom if necessary so it sits flat; then take a sharp knife and cut a circle in the top of the tomato. Remove the inside pulp and even out the inside of the tomato shell using a spoon. 
  4. Chop the tomato pulp and place in a bowl; then add the shrimp, garlic, basil, both cheeses and the breadcrumbs. Mix well. (You may need to adjust your breadcrumbs if the mixture is too dry/moist, it depends on how much tomato pulp/juice each tomato yields). 
  5. Stuff the tomato mixture into the tomato shells and place in an oven safe baking dish. 
  6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the breading is lightly brown. 
Enjoy! 

Nutrition Facts
Calories 228, Carbs 24.5g, Fat 7.8g, Protein 7.6g, Fiber 2.8g, Sugar 1.5g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate. 



Gab's Caprese Shrimp Stuffed Tomatoes Shopping List

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis