Pages

Stay Connected

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Martini Chicken Thighs

For those of you new to my blog, I live in Northern NJ. I love living where I do, as I get the best of both worlds. My home is in the country about 20 minutes from the ski slopes and only a 45 minute drive to Manhattan. We don't go into the city very often, but when we do it's usually around the holidays. About 10 years ago we started a tradition of taking the girls (well then it was only my oldest daughter) in for dinner and a Broadway show to celebrate their birthdays. Sometimes we'll even head into Central Park with family and friends to go ice skating too. It's just a fun place to be around the holidays. Anyway, this past Sunday, we made our trek in and ate an early dinner with the kids, my Mom and her husband at an Italian restaurant called Trattoria Trecolori before heading to our show. We found this place a couple of years ago by accident and decided to eat there again. The food is good, prices are reasonable, they have a great wine list and make great suggestions AND it's close to the theatre district, so it was geographically convenient as well. We all liked our menu choices but I had ordered this one dish that they called Chicken Martini. It was delicious but I was anticipating that it would have olives. I don't know why, it didn't say that they were in the dish but it sounded like it would go well.


So the night before last, I decided to make my own twist on their Chicken Martini and made Martini Chicken Thighs. This dish was INCREDIBLE and definitely one I'd make again! All of the flavors combined nicely without being too overpowering. I did make quite a bit, as I was cooking for 6pp but also wanted to have some leftover to send to my in-laws (Rehabilitation Center food is NEVER as good as homemade!). 


Martini Chicken Thighs
10 Chicken Thighs, bone in, skin removed
2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
2 tbsp. Canola Oil
1-5 oz. Jar of Stuffed Spanish Manzanilla Olives (I think next time I'll go to Corrado's and use their garlic stuffed olives to make it even better!)
1 Lemon, zest and juice
1-14oz. Can Artichoke Hearts, quartered
1/2 c. Scallions, chopped
1/2 c. Vermouth
1/2 c. Vodka (I used Kettle One...shhh...don't tell hubby!)
1/2 c. Chardonnay Wine
3 c. Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
2 tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
Kosher Salt, to season chicken
Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to season chicken


In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides and lightly brown on each side for 8-10 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside (You may need to do this in 2 batches). Add the garlic, olives, artichokes, scallions, lemon zest to the Dutch oven then add the wine to deglaze the bottom of the pan and scrape up any bits. Add the flour to thicken, then one at a time add the vermouth, vodka and lemon juice; stirring to thin out the sauce. Next, add the chicken broth and the par-cooked chicken thighs. Bring to a boil, cover then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Transfer chicken to an oven safe dish, top with the sauce, then bake at 425 degrees for another 20 minutes so that the sauce thickens and the chicken browns. Serves 10. 


Points+=7 per chicken thigh


Enjoy!



12 comments:

  1. Carrie, you are so right, what is a Martini without olives :) This recipe sounds so good, I can't wait to try it!!! I love your family birthday tradition

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just linked this recipe to Fit and Fabulour Fridays http://www.ameessavorydish.blogspot.com/2011/12/fit-and-fabulous-fridaysholiday-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just linked this recipe to Baking Bad Foodie Friday Linkk Party http://bakingbad.com/?p=961

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your blog.... this recipe sounds great. i love artichoke hearts so i will be putting this on my "too make" list. : ) i'm a new fan on your facebook and now a follower. come check out my blog too. thanks!!


    http://thehappylittletomato.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bridgett! Heading over now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linked this recipe to:
    http://www.makeaheadmealsforbusymoms.com/melt-in-your-mouth-monday-blog-hop-42/#comment-38036

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This sounds incredible!! I will definitely be making these and a little martini on the side for myself :) Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this looks awesome.... I love a good martini :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis