Pages

Stay Connected

Monday, December 19, 2011

Spinach Artichoke French Bread Pizza or Artichoke Spinach Dip

If you're like me, by Friday night I'm usually wiped and don't want to fuss over a big dinner. The girls are usually coming and going (as their social calendar has taken precedence over mine at this point) and hubby is still working late. So I like to make things that are fast, easy and can be reheated quickly. A few years ago I found a recipe in Rachael Ray Magazine for these Spinach Artichoke Pizzas and as I was flipping through my recipe box looking for cookies last week, this one popped out (if you don't remember, my hubby accidentally dropped my recipe box a few months ago and who knows what you'll find in each category now!). I figured I'd give it a try. I didn't follow her recipe exactly but the premise was still there. These were incredible AND I think I found a new way to make Artichoke Spinach Dip too because this way was even better than the way I had made it previously. 

Spinach Artichoke French Bread Pizza
(And Artichoke Spinach Dip!)
Inspired by Rachael Ray
1 Loaf Ciabatta Lunga
1-15oz. Can Artichoke Hearts, chopped
1-10oz. Package Frozen Chopped Spinach, defrosted and drained
2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
2 tbsp. Butter
2 tbsp. Flour
1 1/2 c. 2% Milk
1 c. Shredded Asiago Cheese
1/2 c. Pecorino Romano Cheese, grated
1/2 tsp. Fresh Ground Pepper
8oz. Fresh Mozzarella, 16 thin slices
1-2 tbsp. Fresh Thyme

Cut the bread into four sections, then slice horizontally, creating eight halves. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and add the garlic. Stir until the flavor of the garlic starts to release then add the flour, forming a roux. Reduce heat to low and add in the milk, both cheeses, and the ground pepper. Whisk together until all of the cheese has melted and the sauce becomes thick. Add in the artichokes and spinach and mix until well blended. Portion the sauce on top of each bread half and top with 2 slices of fresh mozzarella and thyme. (You will have some sauce left. Serve it w/ tortilla chips as a snack another time!). Bake at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes, then broil for 2 minutes to get the cheese browned. Serves 8. 

Points+=9pts (Approx. It is 7pts. without the bread)

Enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. Mouth watering!!! Looks so inviting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes please!!! I wish I had this in front of me now :) Spinach and artichokes are such a wonderful marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Melissa and Corey, it really was very tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis