Pages

Stay Connected

Friday, December 16, 2011

Holiday Baking #1: Hazelnut Truffles

How is everyone doing today? I have been busy, busy. busy with some of my holiday baking. I still have a few more cookies to make but I'll be creating separate posts for each item that I've made so far so you too can get a jump on what you might need to get at the store today if baking was on your agenda this weekend. 

Many years ago I found a recipe for Bailey's Irish Cream Truffles from Chef Judy Contino from Ambria Restaurant in Chicago, IL. The paper is so tattered and barely readable at this point because I have to make these every year for my niece, who absolutely adores them. I love this basic recipe because the texture is wonderful no matter what you add to it. So this year, I will be making the Bailey's Irish Cream Truffles (and I also made some Homemade Bailey's Irish Cream!) but I also wanted to try a few different variations. I also decided to make them smaller, as they are so rich and found these cute petit four paper cups at my local party store but you can certainly make them larger. So here is my Holiday Baking Experiment #1. 

Hazelnut Truffles
Adapted from Chef Judy Contino, Ambria Restaurant
12oz. Dark Chocloate
1/2 c. Nutella (Hazelnut spread)
1/2 c. Heavy Cream
2 Egg Yolks
1 tbsp. Butter
4 oz. Finely Chopped Hazelnuts

Add the chocolate, Nutella and heavy cream to a medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until all of the chocolate has melted. Remove from heat and whisk in the egg yolks (I save the whites to use for my breakfast). Next, whisk in the butter until melted. Pour in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or until firm. Using a spoon, mold the mixture into 1/2" balls. (If it starts to soften, put it in the freezer for a few minutes to stiffen while you work). Roll the balls in chopped hazelnuts. Keep refrigerated. Makes 3 1/2 dz.-1oz. truffles.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis