Pages

Stay Connected

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Homemade Limoncello

As I mentioned a few months ago, we visited a farm in Sorrento, Italy this past summer where they made their own mozzarella. Not only did they make their own cheese, but they also made their own Limoncello. In fact, according to my husband, it was the best he's ever tasted. So we brought home two bottles of it and now...it's gone. I have since purchased three different kinds at our local liquor store and even though they were all made in Sorrento, none of them tasted like the kind we bought from La Sorgente Farm. I even tried to see if they had a website, but apparently we're not alone. I found out through some comments on Trip Advisor that they don't publicize their products to keep demand low. I guess shipping some to NJ would be out of the question. So, I did the next best thing...I made some myself! I did a little research online and they all called for the same 4 ingredients though some used Everclear instead of vodka. This is REALLY easy to make but you have to be patient because it needs some time to ferment. The end product was a hit and even better when you keep it in the freezer. Now I can cook with as much Limoncello as I want (YEAH!) because I can just make more! This would also make a nice, unique gift for that special someone on your list who has everything. 


Homemade Limoncello
2c. Quality Vodka (I used Kettle One)
2 Lemons, zest only
1 1/4 c. Water
1 c. Granulated Sugar


In a glass bottle or jar that can be sealed air tight, add 1 cup of the vodka and the lemon zest. Seal the bottle/jar and let sit for 5 days. On the fifth day, make the simple syrup. In a small saucepan, add the water and sugar. Whisk together until all of the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool. Once cooled, add the syrup to the vodka and lemon mixture and add the remaining 1 cup of vodka . Seal the bottle/jar once again and let it sit for another 4 days. Strain out the lemon zest with a small strainer or cheesecloth. Add the mixture to a decorative bottle. Makes 3 cups. Best when served chilled. 


Here are some pictures from our time in beautiful Sorrento~Enjoy! 
















11 comments:

  1. i love limoncello! now that i know how easy it is to make, i am definitely going to try! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Bridgett! @Jenn~I have some waiting for you in the freezer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! sorrento--- is so so beautiful .i wish to go there one day..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Love for food! It was beautiful and wished I could spend longer than a few hours there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just linked this recipe up to Everyday Mom's Meals Church Supper
    http://everydaymomsmeals.blogspot.com/2011/12/church-supper-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! How lovely. What a great idea for this time of year! The perfect hostess gift. Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week, and Merry Christmas!

    Everyday Mom's Meals

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just linked this up to Foodie Friday over at Baking Bad
    http://bakingbad.com/?p=1003

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did you get the bottles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those bottles I got at La Sorgente in Sorrento, Italy where I originally purchased the Limoncello

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis