Pages

Stay Connected

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Linzer Tarts

I'm starting to do some baking for the holidays so I figured I'd start with my hubby's favorite! The first time we had these was at my Mom's house last year. She had been making them for years but we hadn't been to FL where she lives for Christmas until last year (she usually comes up north or goes on vacation). She put these tarts out and they were an instant hit! So buttery tasting but not heavy or overly sweet. I asked her for the recipe and she said she had gotten it from one of Ina Garten's cookbooks and sent me the recipe. I use regular salted butter and omit the salt but if you follow proper "baking etiquette" then use unsalted butter and add in 1/4 tsp. salt. :) Someone also recently asked me how the cookies will stay fresh until Christmas. Well, I freeze them in resealable freezer bags. They'll stay fresh for a good month or so but I usually only keep them in there until I need them for company or for the holiday itself. If you need to make a platter of cookies, simply pull some out and they will defrost in no time. 

Linzer Tarts
Adapted from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
3/4 lb. Salted Butter, softened
1 c. Granulated Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
3 c. All-Purpose Flour (plus extra for rolling)
3/4 c. Raspberry Preserves (I use seedless)
Confectioners Sugar, for dusting

Directions
  1. Cream together the butter and sugar until well combined then add vanilla. 
  2. Next, add the flour and mix well; then place the dough onto a floured surface and shape into a flat disc. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. 
  3. Remove the dough and roll out to 1/4" thick; then cut out two 3/4" rounds.  Cut out a hole from one of the circles (I use a juice glass and a shot glass to cut out the center). 
  4. Place all of the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet or on parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. 
  5. Allow to cool slightly; then spread some preserves on the full round cookie and top with the cut out cookie.
  6. Cool completely and dust with confectioners sugar. Makes approx. 3 dozen cookies. 


I love these cookies but not all of the calories! So instead of adding back the circle cut outs into the dough and rolling out, I make mini cookies for myself. This way I can have one or two and not feel so bad. :)

Enjoy!






7 comments:

  1. Linked to Sweets for a Saturday
    http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/12/sweets-for-saturday-47.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies look and sound amazing. I would love it if you came to link to my holiday recipe swap blog hop. It is my first ever! Love these recipes.
    http://www.mythirtyspot.com
    -Erin Kennedy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Erin, I'll head on over! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are absolutely gorgeous! I worked in two different tearooms over a span of 10 years and we made the heart shaped ones ;) Delicious! Beautiful job, Carrie!

    ~Melissa
    www.ChinDeep.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look so fantastic. Great pictures. Come visit us today. We have a wonderful banana bread recipe to share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies look soooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis