Pages

Stay Connected

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Ham and Cheese Calzones

When I was in high school, we were permitted to leave the school grounds for lunch and I don't know how many times my friends and I would walk to Steve's Pizza (where I also used to work) for their calzones. Funny how that was over  25 years ago and I haven't had these since, let alone make them. We had so much ham left over from Easter that I decided to give these a try since when I mentioned the idea of these, my kids had no idea what they even were...I know right, what kind of mother am I? I did opt for making them on the healthier side using part skim cheeses and baking them instead of deep frying (which is how they used to make them years ago) and they devoured them! I guess I will have to make these again because you can stuff them with just about anything you'd like. :)


Ham and Cheese Calzones
2 lb. Pizza Dough
15oz. Part Skim Ricotta Cheese
1 c. Part Skim Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 c. Ham, chopped 
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp. Parsley
1 tbsp. Fresh Basil, chopped
Extra Virgin Olive Oil


Cut the dough into four equal parts and place on a flat working surface. Drizzle a small amount of oil onto the dough so that it doesn't stick to the working surface or your hands and stretch out into 8" circles. In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients. Top each dough with the mixture only filling half of the circle. Fold over the other half of the dough onto the topping and seal by pinching together. Place calzones on a baking sheet and brush on some oil so that it browns nicely. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Serve by itself or with Marinara Sauce.  Serves 4. 


Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. How delicious! I love calzones and this sounds easy to do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i’d be able to eat a LOT of those. they are beautiful but look deliciously irresistable too. y

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis