Pages

Stay Connected

Friday, April 13, 2012

Week 14: Seafood Frenzy Friday


Welcome to Week 14 of Seafood Frenzy Friday where I select seafood recipes around 'foodie land' to showcase for all of you since I don't eat any fish myself.  Today I have ten new recipes for you to try. Simply click on the name of the recipe underneath the picture to be taken to the author's original post. 

Today is also Friday the 13th (ooohhhh...scary!) and whether or not you're superstitious, I thought it couldn't hurt to share some information I found written by Sarah-Jane Bedwell for Self Magazine to share with you. 

Friday the 13th has long been considered an unlucky day on which bad things are bound to happen. However, many cultures believe that luck can be changed simply with what you eat. So on this "bad luck" day, I thought I would share with you some of my favorite "good luck" foods! 

Black-Eyed Peas: Growing up in the South, it was a must to eat black-eyed peas every New Year's Day. Tradition has it that eating the peas on the first day of the year will bring you luck the rest of the year. When I was a little girl, I hated black-eyed peas, but I would always manage to eat a few on New Year's Day all because I wanted to have a lucky year!

Turnip Greens: If you want to want to be lucky when it comes to money, the Southern New Year's Day dinner tradition also points to turnip greens. If you wanted to have a prosperous year, eating your greens would bring you green!

            Noodles: Asian cultures eat a different food for luck on New Year's Danoodles! However, tradition says that if you cut or break the noodle before it's completely in your mouth, luck won't be yours! I am thinking that next time I have spaghetti, I'll try eating it "Lady and the Tramp" style.
        
Lentils: In Italy, people eat lentils for good luck and fortune since it is small, round, and flat, resembling gold coins. It can't hurt that lentils are super good for you, too!

Cabbage: While turnip greens are thought to make you lucky with money in the South, other cultures consider another green vegetable, cabbage, to be the one that will bring you good fortune.

Grapes: In Spain, tradition calls for eating 12 grapes as the clock strikes midnight to ring in the New Year. The goal is to eat one grape with each chime of the clock and to eat all 12 to ensure good luck for all 12 months of the year.

Fish: Germans eat fish for good luck and often even stick a few of the fish's scales in their wallet. Research shows that eating fish regularly can bring you good health, so I can definitely see why fish might be considered a lucky food. However, I think I will stick to eating the fish and skip putting any scales in my wallet!

Like how the last one deals with fish? :) And now onto our 10 Seafood Recipes for this week!


Skinnytaste
Grilled Garlic Dijon Herb Salmon


Scandi Foodie
Seafood, Fennel & Lime Salad


Gourmet Deconstructed
Seared Basil Shrimp with Spinach Cilantro Pesto


Pham Fatale
Vietnamese Dill Fish with Turmeric




Culinary Carrie
Spicy Crab Salad over Cantaloupe


Sauce and Sensibility
Prosciutto Wrapped Fish


The Curry Guy
Pan Steamed Salmon with a Rich & Creamy Coconut Sauce


Lauren's Love
Crab Stuffed Avocado Salad


NY City Eats
Lobster Eggs Benny


A Bachelor and His Grill
Beach Side Spicy BBQ Shrimp



That about does it for this week. 
Thank you all for allowing me to share your delicious looking recipes! 

I've also created a board on Pinterest called CEK's Seafood Frenzy Friday's and have posted each week separately...all in one place for you to access (you do have to follow my board in order to access it)! Now you can pin it, share it, comment, whatever you'd like. The link takes you back to my original post where you can click on each recipe individually and be taken to the original author.
 Happy Pinning!  

8 comments:

  1. Wow, these all look amazing! I love Lacy's Lobster Eggs Benny dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't they all look great! THanks for stopping by Natalie, have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Really neat information! Didn't know a lot of that stuff.

    Those crab stuffed avocados look SCRUMPT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was pretty interesting too and they all look good. Have a great weekend Carrie!

      Delete
  3. 10 more great recipes! I love your Seafood Frenzy Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sonali, I'm glad you like them. I have fun seeking them out as well. :)

      Delete
  4. I've never seen anything like this. Yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I post one like this every Friday with 10 new seafood recipes since I don't cook much of it myself.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis