Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Zucchini Parmesan

Last week during our Spring Break, my oldest daughter had to have her four impacted wisdom teeth removed. I know, I'm not getting the Parent of the Year Award for this one, but it was the only time we could do it so that she would have enough recovery time before going back to school. She did fantastic! She kept ice on/off all day for about four days (probably overkill but she felt more comfortable with it), only needed to take painkillers for the first day and a half (then started getting a rash so now we know she's allergic to Percocet) and ate soft foods like pastina, fruit smoothies, and soup. By the third day, she was looking for something with a little more flavor so I decided to experiment with the zucchini I had just purchased. I made it the same way I make my Eggplant Parmesan and thought it would be soft enough for her to chew. She LOVED it (we all did), and since zucchini season will be here before you know it, you might want to give this recipe a try! I always have homemade sauce in the freezer for last minute meals but you could also use jar sauce if you prefer that. 

Zucchini Parmesan
2 Large Zucchini
2 c. Italian Breadcrumbs
1 c. All-Purpose Flour
Egg Wash (3 Eggs + 1/4 c Milk, whisked together)
Canola Oil, for frying
2 c. Part Skim Finely Shredded  Mozzarella Cheese
Marinara Sauce, as needed

Prepare 3 separate bowls. One for the flour. One for egg wash and one for breadcrumbs. Wash the outside of the zucchini and leaving the skin on, cut it in half lengthwise, then slice it 1/4" thick. Dip the zucchini first into flour, then egg wash, then into the breadcrumbs. Heat approximately 1-2" of oil over medium heat in a large non-stick frying pan. Gradually fry the zucchini until it is browned on both sides. Drain the zucchini on either paper towels or brown paper bags to remove as much excess oil as possible. In a large baking dish, coat the bottom with a thin layer of marinara sauce. Next, add the fried zucchini, top with sauce and cover with some of the cheese. Repeat layering until all of the zucchini is gone. You should have some excess sauce left. Bake at 350°F for approximately 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and lightly browned. 

Marinara Sauce
2-28oz. Can Hunts® Crushed Tomatoes
2-6oz. Can Hunts® Tomato Paste
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. Fresh Basil, chopped
2 Tbsp. Pecorino Romano Cheese
2 Tbsp. Canola Oil
28 oz. Water

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and add garlic and basil.  Sauté until garlic starts to get lightly browned and add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, cheese and water. Let simmer for 1 hour; stirring occasionally. Makes 7 cups.

Enjoy!


7 comments:

  1. To be honest, I only way I eat zucchini is when I make zucchini bread. I don't really care for it plain, boiled or fried. But this...this I may like. I've never seen zucchini used this way so I am pretty excited to try your way. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little iffy about it myself. I wasn't sure the kids would eat it as they don't like zucchini much either but they loved it. I hope you like it as well!

      Delete
  2. Carrie, you are a genius! I don't like eggplant, but I love zucchini. We try to go meatless at least once a week, so I am definitely going to try this soon! As soon as the grocery store starts carrying decent-sized zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie I love zucchini and this is such a great idea because I am not a huge fan of eggplant. I always make zucchini chips for my boyfriend and he eats it with hummus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm...I've never tried zucchini chips before and I love zucchini. I'll have to search for it on your blog they sound delicious!

      Delete
  4. It's a great dish to share with friends at weekends; Zucchini Parmesan!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis