Pages

Stay Connected

Thursday, June 28, 2012

White Chocolate Apple Walnut Granola Bars and Bon Voyage!

Well now I'm on a homemade making granola kick, but it didn't start out that way. You see, after I made those Chocolate Chunk Cherry Granola Bars, I had to make them again because the family loved them so much. I was going to send some to a friend, but then hubby ate it before I had a chance to do so.  I decided to make them for the third time, only to realize I only had 1 cup of oats left and since I was packing up my kitchen and trying to run things out, I didn't want to buy more just to make these. So I decided to experiment...again...and found Apple Cinnamon Instant Oatmeal packages. This time I used up the oats, added in the apple cinnamon oatmeal, threw in some remaining white chocolate chips and walnuts I had and voila! THESE were even better than the other ones (well at least we all thought so!). They also held up better when trying to cut them so I was able to get 20 bars out of them and trust me, these are a little sweet so one bar at 108 calories each was the perfect nighttime snack with a hot cup of tea. :)


White Chocolate Apple Walnut Granola Bars
6 pkg. Quaker Instant Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
1 c. Quaker Oats
1/4 c. White Chocolate Chips
1/4 c. Honey
1/2 c. Blue Agave 
1/4 c. Walnuts, finely chopped (you can omit if you have a nut allergy)

In a bowl, mix together all ingredients. Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper and pour in the oat mixture. Spread so that it is evenly distributed in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, then allow to cool. (I placed mine in the freezer once the pan was cool enough to speed the process). Cut into 20 individual bars. 

Enjoy! 

Nutritional Information per Serving:

Calories 108
Calories from Fat 19
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2.1g 3%
Saturated Fat 0.5g 3%
Sodium 50mg 2%
Total Carbohydrates 21.6g 7%
Dietary Fiber 1.3g 5%
Sugars 14.4g
Protein 1.7g

*Nutritional Information by Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate. 


And now you may be wondering about the Bon Voyage portion of this title. NO, I'm not completely shutting down, but today will be my last new recipe post for a few weeks as I will be heading out for vacation while my kitchen is being renovated. (You didn't think I could stand by and watch all of that happening around me now did you?! =]  And for those of you who didn't know, CEK is FINALLY getting a real life kitchen makeover. No more 1965 kitchen with painted white cabinets (over mahogany frames)! 


This was Demo Day (minus the appliances that were sold)
So we're leaving our dear friend and trusted General Contractor here to oversee everything while we're gone.  My family and I will be traveling to Europe to experience some wonderful sights, eat incredible food and take in all of the history we can. We are all very excited and blessed that life has allowed us to take this opportunity at this point in our lives and I can't wait to share it all with you!  I will be checking in periodically through Instagram, Facebook and Twitter so be on the lookout for updates. 

Our stops will include:
  • Barcelona, Spain
  • Livorno, Italy (Florence/Pisa)
  • Rome, Italy
  • Naples, Italy (Sorrento)
  • Messina, Italy (Sicily)
  • Nafplion, Greece
  • Corfu, Greece
  • Katakolon, Greece
  • Dubrovnik, Croatia
  • Venice, Italy
  • Paris, France
DON'T WORRY,  I'm not going to leave you empty handed!!! I have arranged for some of my fabulous foodie friends to help me out while I'm gone so there will be a new recipe post on the blog almost every day...See, I'm always thinking! They have some special treats in store for you that you won't want to miss...TRUST ME!!! :)

Saturday, June 30-Everyday Mom’s Meals

Sunday, July 1-Gabrielle Farias' blogging debut (Yes, that's my baby girl!)



Monday, July 2-Sumptuous Spoonfuls



Tuesday, July 3-Ally’s Kitchen



Wednesday, July 4-Mia’s Domain



Thursday, July 5-Bakeaholic Mama

Friday, July 6-Seafood Frenzy Friday with recipes from Mor.sl, Jersey Girl Cooks, The Saucy Gourmet, Cupcakes & Kale Chips, Cooking with Chopin-Living with Elmo, Mother Thyme, Spicie Foodie, Comfy Cuisine, A Culinary Journey with Chef Dennis, Beer Meets Food


Saturday, July 7-Knead to Cook

Monday, July 9-Rich and Sweet

Tuesday, July 10-Lauren Kelly Nutrition

Wednesday, July 11-Amee’s Savory Dish

Thursday, July 12-The Foodie Physician

Friday, July 13-Seafood Frenzy Friday with recipes from A Healthy Jalepeno, Silvia’s Cucina, The Galley Gourmet, Project Foodie, 3 Tomatoes, Big Bears Wife, Girl Cooks World, Cooking with Michele, Coconut & Lime, and Cara’s Cravings

Monday, July 16-Basilmomma

Tuesday, July 17-Running with Deviled Eggs

Wednesday, July 18-Lisa’s Dinnertime Dish

Thursday, July 19-The PaperCup Kitchen

Friday, July 20-Seafood Frenzy Friday with recipes from Avocado Pesto, Simply Fresh Cooking, SmokedNGrilled, Teaspoon of Spice, Bev Cooks, Olga’s Flavor Factory, eCurry, Best of This Life, Food 4 Tots, and Gen Y Foodie

Saturday, July 21-Chocolate, Chocolate and More




Thank you in advance to all of my Guest Bloggers for helping me out while I'm away. I'll miss chatting with all of you each day and I'm sure all of my CEK friends will love your blogs as much as I do.  Wishing you all a FABULOUS Summer! 


10 comments:

  1. First, what a creative way to use up ingredients, and those bars sound delicious! How exciting, a new kitchen, I bet it will be amazing:-) Your trip sounds amazing, have a lovely time! Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they were so good Terra and thank you! xo

      Delete
  2. Looks like a big project! Love how few cals are in these

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun on vacay and good luck with the renovations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those bars look delicious. We thought your other ones were fab and I can't wait to make these! I'm jealous about your kitchen, I sure it will be beautiful. Have a wonderful trip!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a fabulous vacation, Carrie! It sounds like it's going to be a fantastic trip and I can't wait to hear about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you are having a blast Carrie!!! These granola bars are awesome! I am so happy that you shared and I'll miss your posts until you get back! Eat lots of yummy food for me!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis