This recipe was created recently after dining out with my kids one evening after having ordered Spinach Artichoke Dip as an appetizer. They just love it! I've made Spinach & Artichoke French Bread Pizza before so I thought I'd experiment with the same flavors in a soup since I had some leftover spinach from dinner the previous night.
I really liked the flavor of this Spinach & Artichoke Soup, but the kids weren't fond of it. I even sent it into my hubby's work so that other's can try it as well, but he left it in his car that day and it never made it inside the office. So you will have to be the judge and let me know what you think when you make it!
Total Time: 45-50 minutes Yield: 7 cups Serving Size: 1 cup
- 1-10oz. Frozen Chopped Spinach, defrosted and drained
- 1/4 c. Red Onion, chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 4 Artichoke Hearts, chopped
- 4 c. Vegetable Broth
- 2 c. Water
- 1 c. Milk, heated (I used 2%)
- 1/2 c. Pecorino Romano Cheese, grated
- 3 tbsp. Cornstarch + 3 tbsp. Cold Water, if needed
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat then add the onion and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes; then add in the spinach and artichokes.
- Add the vegetable broth and water. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 30 minutes; then mix in the milk and cheese.
- Use your immersion blender* to blend all of the ingredients together until the mixture is smooth.
- If the soup isn't thick enough for your liking, mix together the cornstarch and cold water; then add it to the mixture and simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes.
Calories 127, Carbs 7.2g, Fat 7.2g, Protein 5.5g, Fiber 1.3g, Sugar 3.6g
*If you do not have an immersion blender, simply pour the mixture into a regular blender and puree until smooth. Just be very careful not to fill it too much to the top as it will be extremely hot and you don't want to pop the lid off of your blender.