Pages

Stay Connected

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Black Bean, Chicken & Spinach Chili

Well it's a week before Christmas and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse. Oops, wrong story! Sorry, I'm just excited for one of my favorite holidays. Though I do love waking up to a really quiet house and just enjoying my cup of tea before everyone else gets up. The tree is lit. It's quiet and peaceful. Today I'm going to finish my holiday baking but wanted to share with you this great new chili recipe I made last week. And, if you're in the part of the country where the temperatures keep dropping, this will make the perfect, cozy meal for any day of the week to warm your spirits. 


I know what you're thinking. That this sounds like an odd combination. But TRUST me when I say it was incredible! I had purchased some black beans a while ago and forgot I had them in my pantry. When I picked up some ground chicken on sale recently, I figured I'd make something using the two ingredients. So I kind of mimicked my Fiesta Chicken Spinach Dip recipe a little bit and made it into a chili form. Now I made this in my Dutch oven but you could certainly get this ready the night before or in the morning and cook it in a Slow Cooker on warm/low for the day while your out. Serve it over some rice or noodles (we used brown rice) or make a tossed salad and dinner is served!


Black Bean, Chicken & Spinach Chili
2 lb. Ground Chicken
2 tbsp. Canola Oil
1/4 c. Red Onion, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
2 tsp. Chili Powder (we don't like our chili too hot but you could certainly use more if you like extra heat)
1-15oz. Can Black Beans, rinsed
1-10oz. Pkg. Frozen Spinach, defrosted and drained
3 Plum Tomatoes, chopped
1-6oz. Can Tomato Paste (I use Hunts)
1 c. Water


In a Dutch oven, add the oil and brown the chicken until it is cooked through and there is no pink. Add the onions, garlic and chili powder and stir for about 2-3 minutes. Add in the beans, tomatoes, spinach, tomato paste and water and mix well. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so to make sure it's not sticking to the bottom. Serves 6. 


Points+=10pts (without the rice)


Nutritional Widget Image
Powered by eRecipe.com

3 comments:

  1. Looks yumm!
    I gave you a blog award.. stop by and check it out!
    http://littlemommybigappetite.blogspot.com/2011/12/passing-on-some-christmas-cheer.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious, Carrie! Perfect for dinner on a cold evening:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! I'm heading over now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis