Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Mediterranean Garbanzo and Green Bean Salad

I generally don't like to eat a large lunch as I tend to eat my main meal late afternoon. Well at least I did for the last several months because we were so busy running around during dinnertime and it was hard to eat and drive! 

So instead, I like to make salads like this Mediterranean Garbanzo and Green Bean Salad for those occasions when I do like to eat a little something as it's very filling, tasty and healthy too. Not to mention colorful! 

I try to make a few different things to blog about on one day and the kids can't wait to come home to see what the new choices are. This particular salad I made last week and when Rachael came home from school she went right to the refrigerator. This salad automatically popped out at her and she couldn't wait to try it, the little one couldn't be bothered as it didn't have some sort of chocolate in it!  

I didn't eat many recipes with chick peas growing up, but over the last ten years or so, I've been incorporating them more and more into my diet.  According to Canadian Living, garbanzo beans, a.k.a. chick peas:

  • Controls Hunger: Chickpeas are high in fiber and protein, and have a low glycemic index; which can also help control your weight. Eating a 1/2 cup of chickpeas per day can keep you feeling full and help you to consume fewer calories.
  • Reduces Cholesterol: Eating 3/4 cup of chickpeas in your diet each day can help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels, which reduces the risk of heart disease.
  • Versatile: Chickpeas can be used in salads, soups, curries, chilis and stews. Or consider roasting them with your favourite savoury spices. (See more recipe ideas below).

Rachael and the Hubby loved it as much as I did and I can't wait to add this salad to our summer salad repertoire! 


Mediterranean Garbanzo and Green Bean Salad
1-15oz. Can Garbanzo Beans (chick peas), rinsed and drained
2 c. Fresh Green Beans, trimmed
1/2 c. Sun Dried Tomatoes, chopped
3 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Lemon, juice only
1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano
1/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp. Fresh Ground Pepper

Directions:
1. Steam the green beans over a double boiler until they are bright green and al dente. Cool; then cut in half. 
2. Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Makes 4 cups. 

*Nutritional Information per Cup: Calories 165, Carbs 31.8g, Fat 1.3g, Protein 7.3g, Fiber 8.1g, Sugar 2.8g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into CalorieCount and may not be 100% accurate.

Looking for more chick pea recipes? 
Here are a few more I've made:










Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis